Wednesday, 26 April 2017

Terrain

As I said in my last post, I've started making some hills to use in the Turkmenistanian Wars. Way back in Feb '13, I ordered some 3mm mdf in a failed experiment to create terrain boards ... but get the mdf in case it 'came in handy' and now it has!

I cut some of it up into vague oval hill shapes as you can see in the photo below (the cutting board grid is 1cm squares). The stuff on the right 'hill' is the paper I glued to the board (that caused it to warp)

One of the things about wargaming terrain hills that has annoyed me in the past is arguments discussions about where the crest line is, so with mine I've attempted to show them on the terrain piece. I glued cocktail sticks down the middle of the piece and then used filler to smooth the 'hill'. In the pic below you can see on the left a 2-level hill which is 2 pieces glued together and the first level smoothed out with filler and on the right, you can make out the cocktail sticks down the 'middle' of the hill

Here you can see the biggest hill I've done so far - a 2-level hill with the cocktail sticks on the top level

This pic shows a couple of hills with some pebbles I've used to create a central 'feature' for the hills. The one on the right has multiple crests with four cocktail sticks radiating from the pebbles

I'm intending to use some of the ovals to create rocky ground, difficult going areas. Below I've put some pebbles on one of the shapes to get an idea of what it would look like. It has shown me that I'm going to need to use smaller pebbles if I'm going to use it with 1/600th figures, but I reckon it'd be ok with 28's

This is an overhead pic of some 1/600th mini's on the hill

And a lower angle pic

In the course of making these, it's become apparent that a 1 cocktail stick height doesn't create a high enough slope - IMO, so I'm going to add another layer of sticks and see what that's like.  Once I've decided on the right height for me, I'll spray them and then add sand and varnish - I'll take pics of those stages and post them here

Finally, for this post, a couple of pic's of what the 25mm terrain pieces from Supreme Littleness Designs look like when they arrive; I ordered one each of the 'straights' and 'curves'
curves
straights
And really finally, 2 pics of a curve piece with some figures to show relative size; I think they'll do well as rivers for me

Tuesday, 25 April 2017

Small Progress ...

 ... is better than none - I hope!

I've actually managed to complete the magna-basing I mentioned in my last post - turned out there were a dozen btr-152s and 30-odd infantry that had to be done, a lot more than I had initially thought!

I've also made a start on some more hills and will be making some rocky areas as difficult going. Nothing fancy, some mdf cut to shape, filler on that and then covered in sand. I'll try and get some pics up.

After they're done, I'll do the river bits with the Supreme Littleness bits I mentioned in my last post.

So, no eye-candy again, but I've decided I'm going to try and keep posting here as an incentive to keep moving forward.

Friday, 21 April 2017

Success!

I was able to retrieve my figures for the project from the store as planned - woo-hoo!

However, during their transportation after the rescue, I realised that a bunch of them had not been magna-based, so I'm rectifying that before using them.

I also got the four urban areas that I showed in this post, but couldn't find the desert sheet I bought ... I do have a substitute to use for that.

This week I bought from Supreme Littleness Designs two packs of their 25mm terrain lengths, one straight and one curved. My intention is to use them for rivers - hopefully one side painted as water the other for a dry riverbed ... we'll see how that goes!

Thursday, 13 April 2017

Cunning Plan ...

As tomorrow is a bank holiday here in England - and therefore sure to rain heavily - I'm intending to visit the storage where all my figures are and get my Turkemenistanian stuff out.

So I need to get the figures, the bits of terrain I've done and the sheet I bought to use for deserts so I can try a couple of rulesets out. I didn't put my camera in the store so hopefully there will be some substantive posts here soon.

However, I've been meaning to do this for several weekends in a row now, but the imbibing of quantities of Guinness on Friday evenings has prevented most Saturdays mornings being tolerable for me ... hopefully as tomorrow is a Friday it will be ok! :)

Monday, 10 April 2017

Hiatus - longer than planned!

As I'm currently in the midst of selling one home and buying another, all my wargames stuff is in storage at present ...

Unfortunately, this means that this project is on a much longer than planned hiatus ...

My eagerness for the project has not declined at all, and I've bought Rory Crabb's Armoured Strike as another set of rules to use ... maybe one day, I'll actually play a game!